AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is committed to keeping the local community apprised of our progress throughout the Avalon Norwood construction period. We will post regular updates in addition to pertinent information related to major construction activities that may impact vehicular and pedestrian mobility around the site. Construction updates and projections are best estimates, and subject to change.
Update 3/20/2018 (Demolition)
Demolition is anticipated to commence mobilization in late March starting with building 4 (click here to see existing building map). The demolition team will work within the building footprint and leave the exterior walls of the building that face our abutting neighbors on Plimpton Ave. and Rock Court in place until substantially demolished, therefore screening our neighbors from the majority of activity on this specific building. Simultaneously the team will be working on a partial demolition of building 3 to expedite the opening of the primary construction entrance at Lenox Street / Norwood Plaza. The anticipated duration for the demolition of building 4 is approximately 4-6 weeks.
Update 3/20/2018 (Trucking Plan)
trucking plan submittal v2
Update 5/19/2018 (Demolition)
Demolition started on or around May 7th, 2018 at the upper structure of building 3 to establish the construction entrance on Lenox Street at the Norwood Plaza. Building 4 upper structure demolition started on May 14th progressing from west to east while leaving a portion of the wall at our property line in place (safety will be the first priority) for as long as possible to help shield our abutting neighbors from as much of the activity as possible. Demolition of building 3 and 4 including the lower structure and foundation will continue for approximately 3-5 weeks. A machine specifically designed for concrete crushing will arrive on site in early June and continue a daily operation throughout the duration of demolition. We are utilizing various methods for dust control and will continue to monitor the effectiveness and make any necessary adjustments to keep the site and our neighbors as dust free as possible. Please understand that machines that create a rain like effect may create a mist in our neighbors back yards when we are demolishing close to the property line. The continued demolition of buildings 1 and 2 are anticipated to start in early July and will continue for approximately 5-8 weeks. Please refer to the existing building map click here to see existing building map
Update 8/10/2018 (demolition and Site work)
- Demolition of buildings 2, 3 and 4 are complete and building 1 will commence on Monday August 13th. This demolition will require a road closure do to the proximity of the building to Guild Street.
- Guild Street will be closed from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Broadway to Lenox) Monday – Thursday 8/13 through 8/16 and Monday – Thursday 8/20 through 8/23. The anticipated demolition of the above grade structure is 4-5 weeks.
- Site work is progressing with rough grading and utility work.
- The Lenox Street construction entrance will be the primary entrance starting 8/13/18.
Update 11/1/2018 (Construction and Site work)
- Site work is progressing and partial on-site asphalt binder is anticipated to be installed in early November.
- The site will continue with 24 hour security for construction access only
- Framing has started this week at the first of 8 town homes scheduled to continue through spring of 2019
- Our clubhouse and 4 story midrise will start construction late 2018 / early 2019